Do you want to secure your privacy on the internet? Do you want to access the restricted content? Do you want to save more bandwidth of your connection? Or do you want to block malicious internet traffic? Well if you like to have all these things or more then the solution for you is to use a Proxy server. The Proxy server is a gateway that converts your IP address with an anonymous public IP address which allows it to hide your Private IP address from the internet. Hence it is an intermediary between your computer and the internet. Even there are many third-party software and sites that can enable you to use a proxy server but to be on the safe side, Microsoft has provided the Proxy feature in its Windows 10 so, if you’re using Windows 10 then take advantage by configuring its built-in Proxy settings.
The requests you make to access websites and other services will be handled by the proxy server for you. Using the proxy server helps to make your IP address obscure on the internet. It also helps you save internet data usage and also decrease the use of your connections bandwidth because the sites that are requested by you are cached by the proxy server and the next time you request the same site the proxy server serves the content from its cached data.
The proxy server can not only be used to access the blocked site but can also be used to block sites by configuring the proxy server settings, this can help you to stop your employees from accessing social media and other sites during the work hours. These are the main feature that we have discussed but the proxy server is capable of more than just these features. In this article, I will guide you on how to set up the proxy server settings in Windows 10.
How To Use Proxy Server in Windows 10
In the following steps, you will learn how to configure and use different methods of using the Proxy server in your Windows 10. The Windows 10 allows you to use the proxy server for Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection but it will be disabled if you are using VPN (Virtual Private Network).
Go on and open up the Windows settings, in order to do so, click on the Windows icon located on the taskbar, this will open up the Start menu. From the start menu click on the settings icon as shown above.
From the Windows Settings pane, click on the Network & Internet option as highlighted above. This will navigate you to the Network & Internet Settings pane.
After Network & Internet settings pane opens up, click on the Proxy option from the far left navigation menu as shown above. This will open up the Proxy settings pane.
Now From the Proxy Settings pane, you can see that there are two methods from which you can set up a proxy server. The first methods allow you an Automatic proxy setup and the other one is a Manual proxy setup.
Setting up a proxy server Automatically:
The Automatic proxy server allows you to manipulate two options in order to set up an automatic proxy in Windows 10.
The first method under the Automatic proxy setup is of “Automatically detect settings” as highlighted above. The Windows 10 has enabled this feature by default, this helps Windows to detect the proxy settings automatically. However, this option may not work on corporate networks as they might have set up their network with personal proxy settings.
The second method is to Use the setup script as highlighted above. By enabling this option you have to enter the script address provided to you by the company or a user who is hosting the script. After entering the script address, Windows will automatically detect its settings. Bear in mind that the Script address is similar to the URL (for example www.proxyserver.net).
After using the setup script option, make sure to type in the Script address and then click on the Save button to apply changes to take place.
Setting up Proxy setup Manually:
Windows 10 allows you to set up proxy configuration manually. To set up proxy manually, all you need is a public IP address and a port number. The IP address and port number can be given to by the company who has set up their personal network or you can also find the public IP addresses and their port number from the internet. In order to set up a proxy in your Windows 10 manually, follow the steps below.
- From the Proxy settings pane, make sure to turn off the “Automatically detect settings” and “Use setup script” options. Now scroll down to the Manual proxy setup phase as highlighted above. Under the Manual proxy setup section, turn on the option of “Use a proxy server” by clicking on its toggle button. After turning on the proxy server, you will be enabled to configure Manual proxy setup as shown above.
- Type in the IP address in the Address field and its port number in the Port field.
- You can type in the URL of the websites to create an exception over them for the proxy server, through this the proxy server will not run on the specified website entries. You can add multiple websites by separating them through a “;” (semicolon) in the textbox field.
- Under the textbox you can see a checkbox for “Don’t use the proxy server for local addresses”, you can check to mark it if you don’t want the local network traffic to go through the proxy server. This allows your proxy server not to connect the local resources unless it is required for your company
- Now simply click on the Save button to apply changes to take place.
That’s it! Hope this article has helped you to learn how to set up the proxy server settings in your Windows 10. If you have any confusion or experienced any difficulty following the instructions below, please let us know in the comment section below.