If you are one of those who likes to keep themselves in a circle where there are no such people who are not wanted or you think don’t belong, then you may also want to keep your social media accounts safe from such interlopers. Social media platforms comprehend the privacy of the users and allow them to safeguard themselves by including such options which can be manipulated through the UI (user interface) settings whether its a mobile or web application.
Instagram which is the second most used mobile application after Facebook according to the Statista report claims, is the place where you will find your friends and also those who are not in your list. Social media platforms like Instagram uses an algorithm which allows them to find people through mutual relation and suggest you follow them, similarly, you also come in the suggested list to other users if they are in mutual relation to your friends in the list.
As you join Instagram, you provide it through the information or add it afterward like email, phone number and even links of other social media platforms which allows your friends to find you easily. So if you want it to make hard for your friends to find you then you have to make some changes in the settings and to remove such information included in your account. So, in this article, I will guide you with some tips on how to prevent other Instagram users from finding you.
So let’s start with the guide…
Unlink Your Facebook or Other Social Media Account
Instagram allows you to link your Facebook and other social media accounts and linking your social Facebook on Instagram allows your Facebook friend to know that you have an account on Instagram and makes them easier to find you. To unlink your Facebook account, follow the steps below.
- Open up your Instagram app and tap on the “three horizontal lines” located at the top right corner as shown above. This will slide out a user’s setting menu.
- From the User’s setting menu, tap on the Settings options located at the bottom of the menu as shown highlighted.
- Now from the Settings menu, tap on the Account option as highlighted.
- From the Account, tap on the Linked accounts options as highlighted.
- Now you can see all the listed social media platforms that you can link your Instagram within the Linked accounts pane as highlighted. If you have linked your Facebook or any other social account with Instagram then you can see the name of an account and a tick mark against the account, as shown above, this indicated that the particular account is linked with Instagram. Simply tap on the Facebook option.
- In the Facebook options pane, tap on the Unlink button to remove Facebook account connection as highlighted. This will pop up a warning message asking for your confirmation to unlink? Simply tap unlink.
The above steps will unlink your Facebook account from the Instagram account, if you have any other account connected with Instagram, simply perform the same procedure with them to unlink.
Turn off Contact Synchronization in Instagram
Instagram sync your phone contacts and save them on its server, which helps them to find people that are using Instagram in your contacts and then suggest them and you to connect with each other. To disable Contact sync, follow the steps below.
- From Instagram Settings pane, tap on the Account option as shown above.
- From the Account pane, tap on the Contacts syncing option as highlighted.
- In Contacts syncing pane, you can see a toggle (switch) button against the Connect contacts option as highlighted. Simply tap on the button to disable it.
Now you have successfully disabled the Contacts syncing from your Instagram.
Make your Instagram Account Private
When you join Instagram, it by default create your account as a public account, this makes other Instagram users to follow you without your permission through which they can see your shared photos and videos. By making your account private, you are authorized to control if others can follow you or not. In order to make your account private, follow the steps below.
- From Instagram Settings pane, tap on the Privacy and security option as highlighted above.
- From Privacy and security pane, tap on the Account privacy option as highlighted.
- In Account privacy pane, you can see a toggle (switch) button against the Private account option as highlighted. Tap on the toggle button to activate your Private account as highlighted.
Now you have successfully made your public Instagram account as private.
Turn Off Instagram Activity status
Instagram Activity status allows your followers and other users you messaged, to see when you were last active on the Instagram app. Disabling this feature will not only you won’t be able to see others activity status neither others can see yours. To turn off Activity status, follow the steps below.
- From settings pane, tap on the Privacy and security option as shown above.
- From Privacy and security pane, click on the Activity Status option as highlighted.
- In the Activity status pane, you can see a toggle button against the Show activity status option as highlighted. Tap on the toggle button to disable it.
Now you have successfully disabled your Activity status for other Instagram users.
Remove your Phone Number from Instagram Profile
If you have added your phone number in your Instagram profile then it allows Instagram to find you users that have your phone number in their phone contacts. Removing your phone number will unable Instagram to find you users that have your phone number. Bear in mind that you will not be able to use a two-factor authentication method to sign-in after removing your phone number. To remove a phone number, you must have an email account assigned to your Instagram profile because it needs at least one way to contact you. To remove your phone number, follow the steps below.
- From User’s profile page, tap on the Edit profile button as highlighted above.
- From the Edit Profile pane, tap on the Phone number option located under the Private information section as highlighted.
- In Phone number pane, under the “Enter your phone number section”, remove your phone number and simply tap the Next button as highlighted.
- Now back to the Edit profile pane, tap on the tick mark located at the top right corner to save changes as highlighted.
This now has successfully removed your phone number form your Instagram profile.
Uncheck Similar Account Suggestion from Web
Similar Account Suggestion option is not included in the Instagram mobile application so instead, you have to disable this option by viewing your Instagram profile through signing into its Web application. Similar Account Suggestion allows other Instagram users to find you if they’re following an account that you are following. To disable this option go on and sign-in your Instagram account on its Web application.
When you’re signed in, click on the profile icon located at the top right corner to go to the User’s profile page as shown above. Now in the Edit profile pane, under the Private information section, you can see an option of Similar Account Suggestions as highlighted. Simply uncheck the option by clicking on its checkbox. This will disable the feature and will not further suggest users who follow similar accounts as you do.
That’s it! Hope this article has helped you in how to prevent other Instagram Users from Find you. If you have any confusion following the instructions above or know any other option that would help users from restricting themselves from other users, please share and let us know in the comments section below.